Psalm 136 is written in a responsive format. The psalmist declares a positive act of God and the audience responds with a statement that repeats throughout the psalm. The response is a version of “God’s faithful love endures forever”. I was curious how this response was translated by different versions. I found several variations and enjoyed thinking each of these through.
- His faithful love endures forever. (NLT)
- His love endures forever. (NIV)
- His steadfast love endures forever. (ESV)
- His mercy endureth forever. (KJV)
- His lovingkindness (graciousness, mercy, compassion) endures forever.
- God’s love never fails. (CEV)
- God’s love is eternal. (GNT)
- His love never quits. (MSG)
- His tender love for us continues on forever. (TPT)
- His loving devotion endures forever. (BSB)
- His faithfulness is everlasting. (NASB)
- His love is eternal. (HCSB)
- His gracious love is everlasting. (ISV)
- His kindness is for all time, (LSV)
- His loyal love endures. (NET)
- To the age is His kindness. (YLT)
I made a word salad with all these words. My conclusion is that God’s love is hard to describe.
See you tomorrow for Psalm 137.